Monday, November 17, 2014

Cozy Mystery Review: Caught Dead Handed by Carol J. Perry

Caught Dead Handed
Witch City Mystery Book 1



from the author's site: 

Most folks associate the city of Salem, Massachusetts with witches, but for Lee Barrett, it’s home.  This October she’s returned to her hometown-where her beloved Aunt Ibby still lives-to interview for a job as a reporter at WICH-TV.  But the only opening is for a call-in psychic to host the late night horror movies.  It seems the previous host, Ariel Constellation, never saw her own murder coming. 

Lee reluctantly takes the job, but when she starts seeing real events in the obsidian ball she’s using as a prop, she wonders if she might really have psychic abilities.  To make things even spookier, it’s starting to look like Ariel may have been an actual practicing witch-especially when O’Ryan, the cat Lee and Aunt Ibby inherited from her, exhibits some strange powers of his own.  With Halloween fast approaching, Lee must focus on unmasking a killer-or her career as a psychic may be very short lived. . .

my thoughts:

Wow, just wow. It's been a while since a book held my attention the way this one did. Don't get me wrong, I read many enjoyable books, but most of them don't keep me up until after 1am because I refuse to put them down and go to sleep. Caught Dead Handed can appear a little intimidating at first because it's a hefty read, but trust me, you'll be flying through the pages. Even after I figured out "whodunnit" I had to keep reading to see if I was right. Perry kept me intrigued and second-guessing myself, so I just had to know. The tone is darker than most cozy mysteries that I read, but it fit the story. 

I love the characters, even though I found myself suspecting many of them of murder. Lee is a great character and I look forward to seeing more of her. Aunt Ibby is fun, and I always love a librarian character. The secondary characters are interesting and engaging and I look forward to seeing them in future books. 

I was only a few chapters in when I pre-ordered my copy of book 2. I don't know how I'll wait until April. If you're interested in ordering either book, just click the cover pictures. 




how I acquired this book: I borrowed a copy from my local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment